Photos of the Day - Some Neat Things

Today was another loooong day in the field, but we came across a few interesting things. Unfortunately my "good" camera is too heavy to take with me into the field, so I am sorry for the low quality of these images since I had to take them using my trusty point-and-shoot.

This is a Pink Lady's Slipper. It is rare to find these in the wild, so I was really surprised to find this one. It is in the Orchid family and has an alternate name of "Moccasin Flower".

The active Beaver hut


Porcupine pelt. This is all that was left after something ate the Porcupine (occurred sometime within the last 3 days). We assume that a Fisher is roaming the woods because that is the only animal that actively hunts and eats Porcupines. They kill them by attacking the quill-free belly of the Porcupine. This is the second pelt we have found so far in the past 2 weeks.

No comments: